From time to time, data enthusiasts will have to use datasets from open sources such as Kaggle or as is the case in this instance, EMDAT. To use the platform, EMDAT, to get an open source dataset, follow the instructions below;
- Go to https://www.emdat.be/ and click the “Go” button next to the Register segment as seen below
Upon clicking the “Go” button, a page that contains necessary details to signup to the platform will be launched
Click “OK” once this is filled out.
2. You will then be directed to validate your account.
Click on the email sent to you by EMDAT and click the link that validates your account.
3. The link leads to the EMDAT site and a confirmation window pops jup on the site. Click “OK”.
4. Click “Go” next to “Access Data” and that leads to another set of segments.
5. For the purpose of this infographic, we will be selecting the options suited to the dataset we need at the moment;
i. Under “Classification”, expand the “natural” option.
ii. Under the ensuing options, expand the “Climatological” option. In this example, we select “Drought”( the dataset currently needed by a premiere project group of the Hamoye internships).
iii. Under “Countries”, select Africa and make sure that the “Time Period” is set from 2000 to 2023.
iv. Click “Download” to get your customized dataset.